Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Chapter (Dog) 2

     In the weeks that followed after Bella's death, the neccessity of having a service dog became obvious. Having a service dog isn't a 'luxury' for DH, (Dear Husband), but a vital resource. One that makes ˙his daily life easier. So I began searching for a new candidate.
      Qualities that we needed were intelligence, temperment and size. A dog that got along well with other dogs and cats since we have both. So a larger working breed mix. Running around to shelters seemed an inefficient way to search so onto the web I went. 
     The first problem I encountered was that while I limited the search to 'local' shelters, i would get 'listings' for dogs as far away as Louisiana, Texas....dogs that if you 'paid the fee' would be transported up to New Jersey.  These 'listings' were always associated with 'rescue' groups. So those were weeded out. 
     The second problem was the 'rescue groups' themselves. I work a 12 hour night shift as a 9-1-1 dispatcher. So when I come home I have to go to sleep so I can get up and go back to work. When I'm off I'm either trying to catch up on sleep, taking DH out to doctor's appointments or shopping, and catching up on all the stuff I can't get done when I'm working. 
     When did 'rescue' groups become social workers? I can understand trying to insure a 'first time' adopter is prepared for the responsibilty of having a dog. References? No problem, how many do you want? Vet info? Here you go, they're expecting your call. . You wanna drive by, make sure I have the 6 ft. fence around the back yard, fine. Home visit? Not gonna happen. Can you supply me with a recent criminal history background check prior to your 'home visit'? No? I don't know you, yet you expect me to let you roam through my house to 'inspect' it. Did I mention I work nights? As a 9-1-1 dispatcher? 
The final straw was when one of these 'rescue' group representatives told our vet they were denying the application because no one knew why Bella died. 
     Through all this, I kept going back to a picture of a dog at a local shelter, the Port Jervis Humane Society (www.pjhumane.org). She was obviously a rottie mix, so a working breed, intelligent, and a good size. I emailed to be sure she was still available. She was. So we went to meet her. We liked her. So we came home, picked up Raven, (my daughter's rottie shepherd mix) and went back to introduce them. 
Twin sisters from different mothers! 

The true irony? This dog had been 'placed' with her previous family by...a 'rescue' group! That family had her for 3 DAYS before surrendering her to the Port Jervis Humane Society. 

Roxie, formerly known as Lilo, on her way to her new forever home.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment